Thursday, October 16, 2008

Where Do We Go From Here?

We're only a few games into the season, but I've already had my fair share of disappointment, anger and frustration as a Juventus fan. My beloved Bianconeri have, to put it bluntly: sucked. The high hopes of last season's miraculous 3rd place finish, the return of La Formica Atomica (the Atomic Ant) Sebastian Giovinco and the signing of Amauri was supposed to signal Juventus' return to Europe's elite. But apparently it's not yet to be.

Juventus' dreadful upper management (whose names I will not mention at this time because they've become worse than expletives in my mind) have managed to nearly break the Old Lady's hip, an injury that may take more than this season to heal. Instead of investing in quality players (like anyone who knows the game would do), the Juventus directors have splashed cash on past and present garbage which has been incredibly detrimental for the team (see Jean-Alain Boumsong, Tiago, Sergio Almirón, Christian Poulsen, Momo Sissoko).

The board's insistence on crushing supporters' hopes and dreams by announcing their interest in world-class players and settling for world-class losers is enough to give even the most fair-weather Juve fan a conniption. A year ago, if you told me that instead of lining up with Xabi Alonso, Diego Ribas da Cunha, or Rafael Van Der Vaart, Juve would be sporting the likes of Christian Poulsen and Momo Sissoko side by side, I would have fought you for even mentioning the possibility. Now, as if to further enrage supporters, the management have decided to continue in their ways of stocking up on useless defensive midfielders.

While I believe Yaya Touré is a great player, he is a player that is of absolutely no use to a Juve side lacking creative midfielders and wing talent. If Touré's purchase came with the added bonus of Tiago, Sissoko, Poulsen's sales and the purchase of Diego and another creative midfielder, I would be overjoyed. Since this is far from the case, I am incensed at the board's overarching idiocy.

To me, the plan seems incredibly simple: Sell Tiago, Sissoko, Poulsen and Molinaro. They are not of Juventus quality, and need to be offloaded. Next, Juve must bring in at least one creative midfielder for the centre and one winger. Finally, we must secure a quality left back and a world-class centre back. While I am more than aware that the actual implementation of this plan is not nearly as easy as it sounds, I'm quite sure it would be possible if the board actually cared enough about the club to give it a shot.

No comments: