Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Liverpool? Title Challenger


Now I always poke fun of one of my good friends Ben Hunter about his side's inability to make a Premiership Title challenge in the last (I think) twelve years. In Rafa Benitez's era, he has been more obsessed with the Champions League- noting he has made 2 finals appearances- and not really giving the Premiership a chance. He oftens rotates players around, not putting out the best sides during those games and often folding under pressure.

This season, it seems like they have gotten it together. There have been more than a couple of games that they have cameback from especially against Manchester United- whom Rafa hasn't beaten until this season. Then the Man City game opened my eyes, because it is pretty rare in the Premier League that they would come from behind from 2-0 and find themselves a winner, with Dirk Kuyt scoring his first goal in forever. They have the right mix of players. They have Reina between the posts, Carragher is a rock in defence, and Xabi Alonso, Javier Mascherano, and Steven Gerrard show enormous character amongst the midfield. Finally they have one of the best goalscorers in Europe at the moment: Fernando Torres. I mean those ingredients alone smell like a title for this side. I haven't even mentioned Ryan Babel, Dirk Kuyt (who it seems will run into a brick wall for you) and Robbie Keane- who will catch form soon. They SHOULD challenge for all titles this year. It is going to be up to Rafa as to whether he wants to go for the titles because I will admit myself this is one of the most talented teams Liverpool has produced in a while (yes better than the Champions League winning side) so if I was Rafa and they aren't able to win anything this year, I would look over my shoulder.

No comments: